Thursday, May 5, 2011

Discussing Terrorism with Children: A Loss of Innocence

A local mother shares her thoughts on how to protect a child's innocence amid a world of turmoil.

With the death of Osama Bin Laden this week, it raised once again questions from my nine year old about terrorism and the world in which we live.

There has always been some form of terrorism in the world. However, today it seems that our children are exposed to more details, whether through the media or stories relayed at school. How much information we choose to share with our children surely depends on their level of comprehension of what is being told, as well as their age.

My father was in the British Army. During the late ‘70s, I became aware of the dangers that he and my family faced from the IRA. Each time we entered the base, our car would be checked for bombs and there were often bomb threats at the school I attended. I needed to be aware of what was going on as it had a direct effect on my life.

As a mother I have always tried to give out as little information about what is not going to affect my children on a daily basis. My oldest is aware of Sept. 11, 2011 and the repercussions.


read more: http://severn.patch.com/articles/discussing-terrorism-with-children-a-loss-of-innocence

No comments:

Post a Comment